Since 1972, the Soroptimist Live Your Dream Awards program (formerly the Women’s Opportunity Awards) has disbursed more than $25 million to tens of thousands of women who have overcome poverty, domestic and sexual violence, divorce, the death of a spouse, or other life challenges. They are women—just like you— who had the courage and determination to turn their lives around. Recipients may use the cash award to offset any costs associated with their efforts to attain higher education, including books, childcare and transportation. The program begins on the club level, where award amounts vary. Club recipients become eligible to receive region-level awards, which are granted through Soroptimist’s 28 geographic regions. Currently, each Soroptimist region grants one first-place award for $5,000.
You are eligible if you:
- Provide the primary financial support for yourself and your dependents. Dependents can include children, spouse, partner, siblings and/or parents.
- Have financial need.
- Are enrolled in or have been accepted to a vocational/skills training program or an undergraduate degree program.
- Are motivated to achieve your education and career goals.
- Reside in one of Soroptimist International of the Americas’ member countries/territories (Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, Canada, Chile, Colombia,Ecuador, Guam, Japan, Korea, Mexico, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, Philippines, Puerto Rico, Taiwan, United States of America, Venezuela).
- Have not previously been the recipient of a Soroptimist Women’s Opportunity or Live Your Dream Award.
- Do not have a graduate degree.
- Are not a Soroptimist member, an employee of Soroptimist International of the Americas or immediate family of either.
Applications are accepted each year beginning July 1st until November 15th, and should be submitted to the local club, or, if no club is available, to the Region. For more information or if your club is having difficulty finding applicants:
Terri Craig, CECR Live Your Dream Program Chair
Member, SI/Raleigh, NC
- NOVEMBER 15 suggested application deadline for club level awards
- FEBRUARY 15 Deadline for Clubs to forward Award Winners to Region Chair (Terri Craig)
- MARCH 15 Region must forward Award Winners to Federation